Mr. Rothman provides expert consulting services in the areas of human resources and labor relations. His experience includes labor relations and contract negotiations, classification, compensation, personnel assessment, employee benefits, employment discrimination, training, and strategic and organizational planning. He has testified as a human resources expert and in numerous fact finding and arbitration proceedings.
Some of Mr. Rothman’s recent accomplishments include:
- Successfully negotiating collective bargaining agreements on behalf of cities, counties, and special districts with bargaining units including as many as 4,000 employees
- Developing collective bargaining strategies and objectives in collaboration with senior policy makers and elected officials
- Participation in mediation efforts resulting in the successful settlement of outstanding contract disputes
- Conducting numerous classification audits both in response to contract requirements, preparation for negotiation, and ongoing organizational change
- Testifying in interest arbitration and ‘AB 646’ proceedings concerning comparability and classification studies
- Conducting a comprehensive classification and compensation procedures instructional program, for city, county and special district human resource staff
- Conducting numerous comparability studies for such diverse groups as public safety, information technology, management and service and support categories, and which are often utilized to reach wage agreements and support negotiations objectives
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Rothman served for ten years as the Employee Relations Director for the City and County of San Francisco. He was the City’s chief negotiator for collective bargaining and meet-and-confer proceedings encompassing 28,000 employees under 47 separate contracts covering over 100 bargaining units, including police, fire, nurses, transit workers, building trades, management, professional, technical and service occupations. He also served as the Manager for Classification, Compensation and Labor Relations for the San Francisco Civil Service Commission; Recruitment and Examination Director for the Civil Service Commission; Federal Court appointed consent decree coordinator in the San Francisco Police Department; and led the City’s first Affirmative Action initiatives.
For more than 20 years, Mr. Rothman also had his own consulting organization, Geoffrey L. Rothman and Associates, providing consulting services to public sector organizations in the areas of labor relations, classification, compensation, employee selection, and Equal Employment Opportunity.
Selected Presentations and Publications
- “Deferred Compensation,” International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans, Public Sector Program (2003)
- “Organizational Effectiveness,” International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans, Annual Conference (2003)
- “Phased Retirement,” International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans, Public Sector Conference, San Francisco (2002)
- “Interest Arbitration (SB402),” League of California Cities (2001)
- Article, Public Employee Benefits – From Inquiry to Strategy, International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans (2000)
- “Strategic Planning for Employee Benefits,” Western Region IPMA Annual Conference and International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans, Public Sector Program (1999)
- “Strategic Planning,” International Personnel Management Association Training Conference and International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans Annual Conference (1999)
- “Classification and Compensation in the Public Sector,” City Clerks Association of California Annual Institute (1995)
- “Family Friendly Employment Programs,” Western Region IPMA Annual Conference (1995)
- Training Video, “The Other Point of View,” moderator and contributor, Andrew Belling Productions (1985)
- International Personnel Management Association Assessment Council (IPMAAC)
- California Public Employer Labor Relations Association (CALPELRA)