Mr. Yeung’s practice includes all areas of labor and employment law. He regularly defends private and public sector employers in employment lawsuits involving claims of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation; whistle blower retaliation; failure to provide reasonable accommodations; and wage and hour violations. He has extensive experience handling all aspects of litigation, including jury trials and appellate litigation in both the state and federal courts. Mr. Yeung has also served as lead counsel in several wage and hour class actions, in both state and federal courts.
Mr. Yeung is also widely recognized for his expertise in public sector labor law. In 2004, he was appointed by the Governor as a Legal Adviser to the Public Employment Relations Board (PERB) where he advised the Board in over 100 precedential decisions. Mr. Yeung has litigated cases before PERB under almost every public sector labor relations statute, including the Dills Act (state employees), MMBA (city, county and other local employees), HEERA (higher education employees), TCEPGA (trial court employees), and TCIELRA (court interpreters). He has extensive experience seeking injunctive relief against strikes by essential employees, both before PERB and in court. He is also the author of the “California PERB Blog” (http://www.caperb.com), the first California legal blog focused on public sector labor relations.
In addition to litigation, Mr. Yeung often serves as chief negotiator during contract negotiations. He also has extensive experience with factfinding, having served as a presenter/advocate and also as a panel member on several factfindings.
Mr. Yeung is a frequent speaker at seminars throughout California and has authored several articles and publications on labor and employment law issues, including serving as editor for the MMBA Pocket Guide published by the California Public Employees Program. He is a past Chair of the 6,000 member Labor & Employment Law Section of the State Bar of California and President of the Labor and Employment Relations Association of Northern California. Mr. Yeung is a former Chair of the Labor & Employment Law Section of the Sacramento County Bar and a former member of the City of Davis Personnel Board.
Prior to joining Sloan Sakai Yeung & Wong LLP, Mr. Yeung served as a Deputy Attorney General in the Employment Section of the California Department of Justice. Mr. Yeung has also served as a Legal Adviser to PERB and as a Labor Relations Counsel with the California Department of Personnel Administration.
- Labor and Employment Law Section, State Bar of California
- Chair, Executive Committee (2011-2012)
- Vice-Chair, Executive Committee (2010-2011)
- Chair, Public Sector Sub-Committee (2006-2008)
- Member, Executive Committee (2005-Current)
- Labor and Employment Law Section, Sacramento County Bar Association
- Section Chair (2005-2006)
- Volunteer Attorney, Employment Law Clinic, Voluntary Legal Services Program (1998-2015)
- Labor and Employment Relations Association of Northern California (LERANC)
- President (2011-Present)
- Member, Executive Committee (2008-Current)
- City of Davis Personnel Board, Board Member (1998-2004)
- Editor, “Pocket Guide to the Meyers-Milias-Brown Act” California Public Employee Relations Program (2012, 2014, 2016)
- Chapter Author, “California Public Sector Employment Law” Matthew Bender (2018)
- Chapter Author, “California Public Sector Labor Relations” Matthew Bender (2019)
- Author, “50th Anniversary of the Meyers-Milias-Brown Act,” California Labor & Employment Law Review (Nov 2018)
- Author, “California Attempts to Lessen the Impact of Janus Through Legislation,” Bender’s California Labor & Employment Law Bulletin (Oct 2018)
- Co-Author, “Striking Trends at the NLRB and PERB,” California Employment Law Letter (November 2016)
- Presenter, “Handling Your First PERB Hearing,” California Public Employers Labor Relations Association Conference (Dec 2018)
- Presenter, “Janus v AFSCME: The Aftermath,” International Public Management Association (Sept 2018)
- Presenter, “Labor Relations Update,” County Personnel Administrators Association (Sept 2018)
- Presenter, “Janus v. AFSCME: How Unions and Employers are Responding to the Decision,” California Lawyers Association Webinar (Aug 2018)
- Presenter, “Digging Deep into Disciplinary Appeal Hearings,” California Lawyers Association Annual Public Sector Meeting (Apr 2018)
- Presenter, “Union Access to the Court Workplace: Preparing for Life Post-Janus,” Judicial Council of California (April 2018)
- Presenter, “Employment/Labor Law for County Counsels,” County Counsels’ Association of California (March 2018)
- Presenter, “What Are They Thinking? Demystifying the PERB Process,” California Public Employers Labor Relations Association Conference (December 2017)
- Presenter, “They Did What? And You Did Nothing?” California Public Employers Labor Relations Association Conference (December 2017)
- Presenter, “Free Speech in the Workplace,” University of California Employee Relations Managers Meeting (April 2017)
- Presenter, “Understanding the Interactive Process,” U.C. Davis Health System (April 2017)